Two Color Dresser

When I acquired this dresser it was in some rough shape. Not only was the paint chipping but the drawers were hardly functional.  My customer requested a two color dresser with a stained top. I saw this and thought it would be the perfect candidate (despite its sad appearance)!
IMG_2328

My first step was to make the drawers functional, there’s no use continuing a project if the piece can’t perform its basic functions! With a little sanding, wood glue, nails, a new dowel, and some WD40 I got this baby back up and running. Literally, those drawers were so sticky, also the bottoms were falling out and a runner was broken. But with just a little tender loving care she was functional again!

Next I stripped the top and stained using Minwax Wood Stain, Early American. I gave the entire piece a light sanding and after that I primed all over using my favorite Zinsser Bulls Eye Primer. You don’t always have to prime or sand when using chalk paint but that black paint was super chippy! Then I painted the drawer fronts using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Olive and the dresser using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White. I like to apply paint with a roller, I think it gives it a smoother finish. I finished off the entire piece with my favorite Minwax Finishing Wax. Finally applied new ceramic hardware and lined the drawers with contact paper. I LOVE how this one turned out!

DSC_0440

DSC_0444

A side by side before and after, what a difference!

 

DSC_0439

Thanks for reading!

~Marissa

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s